In response and pursuant to public and private sectors needs for trained personnel with specialization in particular fields of Geology, the Department of ECS has restructured its M.Sc. Programme under Geology section and grouped the course units into suitable specializations.
Geology being in the education sector equips learners with desired values, attitudes, knowledge, skills and competencies essential for productive employment and entrepreneurship. Vision 2030 has set wealth creation as one of its goals and targets the exploitation of available natural resources to spur development in agriculture, energy, water and health among other economic sectors.
To contribute to the achievement of these aspirations, the department of ECS offers relevant knowledge and hands-on training in form of practicals, projects and industrial linkages to enhance development of entrepreneurial skills.
The Master of Science in Geology degree programme responds to the goals of Vision 2030 by offering knowledge and skills that exploits natural resources.
The objectives of this programme therefore are to:
- Provide specialized training to make students adequately competent in their fields of specialization.
- Train geological manpower in the fields that are commensurate with the country’s needs to cope with the contemporary challenges
MODE OF DELIVERY OF THE PROGRAMME
The mode of delivery shall be either face-to-face and/or online and blended.
The face-to-face mode of delivery is given to students admitted in the full time program and shall consist of comprehensive coverage of the syllabus through lectures, tutorials, practicals, seminars, workshops and industrial visits for a semester (15 weeks).
This mode combines the face to face leaning and online learning delivery methods.
Currently due to Covid 19 containment measures, all programmes are offered online through various Learning Management Platforms approved by the University of Nairobi Senate.
The online teaching is given to the students and consist of comprehensive coverage of the syllabus through lectures, assignments, quizzes, tutorials, practicals, seminars, workshops using platforms like
eClass ,SOMAS, ,Mtihani Microsoft teams,Google meet, Zoom, Big blue button, the Student Management Information System (SMIS), University of Nairobi Learning Management Systems.
The course units remain the same as the ones for face-to-face mode of delivery.
Click here on how to apply
CONTACTS OF SUPPORT PERSONS
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Charles M. Gichaba,
Senior Lecturer, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND DURATION
The programme lasts for a minimum of four semesters and a maximum of twelve semesters and is offered by coursework, examination and research project. Coursework consists of lectures, tutorials practicals and seminars.
There are 12 areas of specialization from which a candidate selects one. Candidates are required to take twelve course units. Two of these are core course units taken by candidates from all areas of specialization. Six are compulsory units in a chosen area of specialization and four are taken from among the elective courses in the same area of specialization.
In the first three semesters, candidates embark on coursework for which they are examined at the end of each semester
Candidates submit their research project proposals for approval by the Department at the end of the third semester.
In the fourth semester, candidates embark on their research projects and submit dissertations which are examined at the end of that semester.
Coursework is weighted twelve units and research project four course units making a total sixteen course units for the entire programme.
Each course unit is assigned forty-five contact hours.
Areas of Specialization under this programme include:-
- Mineralogy and Petrology
- Economic Geology and Mineral Resources
- Environmental Geology and Management
- Engineering Geology
- Hydrogeology and Groundwater Resource Management
- Petroleum Geology
- Marine Geology and Resources
- Applied Geochemistry
- Applied Geophysics
- Palynology and Micropalaentology
- Mineral Exploration
Duration of Studentship
The course shall be covered in a minimum of four (4) semesters equivalent to two (2) academic years and maximum of eight (8) semesters of 15 weeks each.
Click here on how to apply:
Candidates must fulfill the general University regulations governing Master of Science programmes and those of the Faculty of Science and Technology.
Holders of the following qualifications will be eligible;
- A B.Sc. degree in Geology with at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) from a recognized University or equivalent.
- A. B.Sc. degree in Geology with a Second Class Honours (Lower Division) from a recognized University or equivalent with two years relevant post qualification experience. In addition, the applicant must have shown strong evidence of research through publications.
- Holders of a pass degree and a postgraduate Diploma from the University of Nairobi or other Institutions recognized by Senate.
- Holders of a pass degree from the University of Nairobi or other Institutions recognized by Senate with at least five years relevant post qualification experience.
Candidates who wish to specialize in Applied Geophysics of Seismology, besides being B.Sc. Graduates in Geology should have studied Physics and Mathematics to at least second year level of the University of Nairobi B.Sc. programme or equivalent.
SCHEDULE OF INTAKES
Application to join the programme normally commences April. Students wishing to join the programme should submit their applications through University of Nairobi Online Application Portal. Click here for further information.
Registration and admission for qualified applicants commences in August and commencement of studies in September.
For schedules of intake click here
Click here on how to apply:
1. Government ministries like
- Ministry of Environment and Mineral resources
- Ministry of Energy
- Ministry ofWater and Irrigation
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Roads and Public works
- Ministry of Lands and settlement
2. Parastatal bodies like
- Post secondary teaching institutions
- Mining companies e.g. Magadi soda
- Geothermal energy development companies
- Petroleum exploration companies
- Development Authorities -KVDA<TARDA
3. Private firms like :-
- Groundwater exploration firms
- Oil exploration firms
- Engineering Firms
- Mining Companies
The employers of geologists includes:-
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources.
- Ministry of Energy.
- Ministry of Water Development.
- Ministry of Agriculture.
- Ministry of Public Works and Housing.
- Ministry of Lands and Settlement
- Groundwater exploration firms.
- Oil Exploration firms.
- Engineering firms.
- Mining companies
- Engineering Geologists
- Petroleum geologists
Click here on how to apply: https://uonbi.ac.ke/content/how-apply
Fees and Funding
|MASTER OF SCIENCE IN GEOLOGY - I580|
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||TOTALS|
|Master of Science-Geology (16 units)||Semester 1 - 4UNITS||Semester 2 - 4UNITS||Semester 1 - 4UNITS||Semester 2 - 4UNITS|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||4,000||4,000||4,000||4,000||16,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250||2,250||2,250||2,250||9,000|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000||0||1,000||0||2,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000||0||0||0||5,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500||0||6,500||0||13,000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000||0||2,000||0||4,000|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000||0||5,000||0||10,000|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000||0||7,000||0||14,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000||0||1,000||0||2,000|