The Department of Earth and Climate Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Nairobi, invites applications from suitable candidates interested in pursuing doctoral studies in Department of Earth Resources Engineering, Kyushu University from September, 2022, for preliminary screening.
The successful candidate will be required to apply for admission in Kyushu University and also apply for a fully funded scholarship from the Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development (SATREPS), Lengo Project. Lengo Project for Comprehensive Solutions for Optimum Development of Geothermal Systems in East African Rift Valley is a bilateral project between the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Energy and Japan International Cooperation Agency. The key implementers of the project in Kenya are the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), University of Nairobi (UoN), Kenya Electricity Generating Company Ltd. (KenGen) and Geothermal Development Company Ltd. (GDC). The Japanese counterparts are Kyusyu University and West Japan Engineering Consultants, Inc. Prof. Bernard W. Ikua (Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) and Prof. Fujimitsu Yasuhiro (Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University are the Principal Investigator (PI)s.
For consideration, interested candidate(s) must meet the following selection criteria:-
1. Be a member of staff in the Department of earth and Climate Sciences
2. Hold a master’s degree or equivalent from a recognized university
3. Must have undertaken a geophysics or geochemistry related project for their master of science degree thesis
4. Must be willing to undertake a research project in a geothermal resources (Olkaria) and training in Japan
5. Must meet admission criteria for Kyushu University (check their website for more details)
Interested candidates should submit their application letter, copy of degree certificates and a brief CV online to email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by Friday, 20th May 2022 at 4.00 pm. Only the successful candidate will contacted. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.